Family Law & Estate Planning Lawyer in Carlsbad, CA
Serving Clients Throughout North County San Diego
We have devoted most of our practice to California divorce and family law at McKinnon Law. However, we also serve clients in other areas, including estate planning, National Security Clearance, unemployment, disability, and child abuse grievance proceedings.
Our attorney and team are committed to providing you with the personalized service you need and deserve when dealing with legal issues. We know that the stress and uncertainty of any legal matter can be difficult. How these issues are dealt with and resolved can impact your relationships with your children and family, financial scene, job or career, and more.
In any legal issue, having a trusted attorney's knowledge, experience, and skills is vital. You will want to avoid making legal or administrative mistakes that could jeopardize a fair result. With our advice, guidance, and representation, you can rest assured that you have a proven professional who understands the importance of every case, every legal decision, and every final court order. Ms. McKinnon and her team are dedicated to serving your needs with the highest competence and commitment.
McKinnon Law Firm provides advice, guidance, and representation in the following areas:
We handle all family law issues, including:
- Divorce and Separation. We handle uncontested and contested cases involving same-sex couples, military couples, and high-asset/high-net-worth couples. We can help you resolve all related issues through negotiation, mediation, or at trial.
- Child Custody. We work to protect your parental rights through custody arrangements that comply with the California family court policy of doing what is in the child’s best interests.
- Child Support. This support is mandated by law and subject to California guidelines. We can help you reach a fair and just support obligation based on your case's unique facts and circumstances.
- Spousal Support. This financial support must be requested in your divorce or separation. We represent both those seeking and contesting this financial obligation.
- Paternity. We represent unmarried parents seeking to establish a father’s parenthood for child support and custody or visitation rights.
- Post Judgment. When circumstances change, modifications or enforcement of family court orders regarding custody and support issues may be needed. We can help you with all the post-judgment problems with petitions to the court.
- Property Division. This can be a complicated and contentious issue, especially for those with multiple and complex assets, retirement accounts, pensions, family-owned businesses, or professional practices. We can thoroughly prepare, negotiate, or litigate your case for a fair division of community property and debt.
- Prenuptial & Postnuptial Agreements. We can help you draft or review an agreement that clarifies your financial arrangements during the marriage and simply the issue should your marriage end in divorce or the death of a spouse.
We craft estate planning instruments and documents based on your unique needs and goals.
Our services include:
- Asset Protection
- Living Wills & Advanced Directives
- Powers of Attorney
- Special Needs Planning
- Trust Administration & Litigation
We handle the application process and represent clients facing suspensions or revocations of their clearances.
Our services include:
- Pre-Investigation Guidance
- Help during Adjudication
- Formal Responses to Letters of Intent or Statements of Reasons
Call McKinnon Law Firm Today
Our Carlsbad lawyer has resolved thousands of cases related to family law, estate planning, and security clearances. We draw on that experience to provide you with competent and staunch legal representation aimed at positive results. We know that our representation can significantly impact your future, so we fight to protect your rights and best interests every step of the way.
"During my divorce I started out with a mediator, which was a nightmare, then a lawyer that charged a lot for very little, and then I found McKinnon Law firm. I was a bit skeptical after my past experiences but she fought for me, got me the absolutely best "
I cannot day enough positive things about Vanessa and her law firm! During my divorce I started out with a mediator, which ...Melissa S.
"Vanessa stepped in with extreme care and genuine concern for avoiding wasting time and money on dragging the case out further than it had already been or needed to be. She immediately facilitated a mediation type meeting to begin, and guided us through the"
McKinnon Law Firm took over my divorce half way through the process, which was basically at a stand still and facing ...Jay C.
"Her expertise in family law and go getting attitude made working with Vanessa very comforting, even in the most stressful situations. Vanessa is honest, timely, and knowledgeable, the absolute best in her field."
My family and I couldn’t be more thankful to Vanessa McKinnon. Her expertise in family law and go getting attitude made ...Carlos D.
"I was prepared with a ton of questions and concerns about my divorce. She blew me away with her knowledge of the process and really comforted me along the way."
Vanessa was the second law firm that I interviewed. I was prepared with a ton of questions and concerns about my divorce. She ...Michael Q.
"She is professional, efficient, and very personable. Without her help I know that I would not have had the successful outcomes that I had with my case both in and out of court."
My experience with Vanessa was excellent. She is professional, efficient, and very personable. Without her help I know that I ...Paul
"What I really like about Vanessa is that she is a strategist, and always looking for the angle to win the case and she doesn't give up!"
Vanessa is sharp and eager! She has represented me in a child custody/child support battle. She is very attentive and ...Corinne
"Vanessa has been working on my divorce case for almost a year now and she has been there by my side through this difficult time. Not only is she hardworking, honest and knowledgeable, she is also someone who is caring, sympathetic and beautiful inside and "
Vanessa has been working on my divorce case for almost a year now and she has been there by my side through this difficult ...Miyako
"Vanessa helped us with a very sensitive family matter and prevailed against great opposition from the other side. She was able to achieve the exact outcome that we desired and was responsive and attentive throughout the entire case."
Vanessa helped us with a very sensitive family matter and prevailed against great opposition from the other side. She was ...Tara L.